A bathroom remodel is a great way to upgrade your home and give it a modern, stylish look. But it is also an effective way to increase the value of your home. In most cases, we do not recommend remodeling your bathroom in order to sell your house. We do recommend you update or remodel your bathroom to enjoy the home you’re in and as a longer-term return on investment. We break down a bathroom remodel from start to finish, with a few hot tips on where to pick up items to add creative flair.
Start by Considering Your Budget
Before you start planning for DEMO DAY, you need to put pencil to paper. There are a few key things to consider:
- Make a wish list of everything you want to do.
- Then set an overall budget you want to spend on the project.
- Call us at JJ Team Homes! Let’s get together and see if your bathroom is a gut job or just needs a new faucet and paint. Whether it’s a big or small bathroom – we’re happy to help.
- Decide on the style and design you are looking for.
- Hire a professional contractor if the work that will be done requires it (a permit may or may not be required).
- Once again, visit your overall budget. Is it inline with the decisions you’ve made above?
Choosing the Right Materials and Lighting
Once you’ve established the budget, you need to choose the right materials and lighting for your bathroom. Below are a few tips:
Budget: Look at your wish list again. If you want a chandelier, sconces, and recessed lights – how much work will need to be done by an electrician? Will you buy the lighting at Wayfair or Restoration Hardware?
Do you have a stock cabinet that you love? Or will you need to have one custom made to fit your exact needs, ie, a built-in drawer with outlet for your small bathroom electronics, or a chilled drawer for your products?
Look: Tile will give your bathroom a more classic look, while natural stone will give your bathroom a more modern look. You think you want a freestanding tub because they are on trend. But first consider if anyone in your family will use it.
Lifestyle: If you have kids, you’ll need to select materials that are sturdy and easy to clean. If you are looking to go high-end in the master bathroom, consider using natural stone because it is sustainable. To add more light, you may want to consider adding a skylight or two. But that may require roofing work as well.
How to Pick the Colors for Your Remodeled Bathroom
Now that you’ve considered the right materials and lighting for your bathroom, it’s time to consider the colors for your bathroom.
Size: Lighter colors make a room appear larger, while darker colors will make it appear smaller.
Effect: Do you want it to be bright and cheerful or more subdued and calming?
Swatches: Before you commit to anything, try color swatches on the walls of the bathroom. Paint looks different on walls than it does in a magazine.
Hire a Reputable Contractor for Your Bathroom Remodel
When remodeling your bathroom, work with a reputable contractor. Whether it’s a large or a small project, the contractor can make or break the project. The right contractor will:
- Help you with the design
- Assist you when selecting the right materials and fixtures
- Complete the project on a timeline
Hiring the contractor is as important if not more important than the materials themselves. Here are a few things to think about when considering who to hire:
- Get quotes from multiple contractors
- Read reviews
- Ask friends, family and neighbors for referrals
- Ask the contractor you select for former clients you can call before you sign the contract
- Get everything in writing
- Cost of the project
- Other esstential details
- Communicate on a regular basis (will this be with phone calls, emails or text?)
- Ask questions throughout the project
Keeping the Same Configuration and Update Your Bathroom Instead of a Full Remodel
With careful planning, you can get the modern bathroom of your dreams without breaking the bank. An affordable bathroom remodel is achievable by keeping the same basic configuration in place and doing smaller updates. These updates include:
- Swapping out the countertops
- Updating the flooring
- Updating Shower Tiles
- Painting or refinishing existing cabinets
Updating the floors or countertops are great ways to give the bathroom a fresh and stylish look without having to fully remodel. To cut costs, choose materials wisely for the countertops, flooring and tiles.
Quick Fixes with a Creative Flair
There are quick and easy changes that can add a whole new look to your bathroom as well. We understand you may want to keep a bathroom remodel under $3000 or even under $1000. An affordable makeover doesn’t have to be boring either. There’s plenty of opportunity for creative flair when it comes to making your bathroom look its best. Try the following:
- Paint: Sanding and painting existing wood cabinets can do wonders. We suggest using high quality paint for this.
- Switch out the mirror. Look for sales at Anthropologie, Home Goods, or our favorite is vintage mirrors to make the space feel unique
- Install new faucets
- Add new cabinet hardware
- Install new towel racks
- Update the lighting
- Add storage with baskets
Again, minor changes to your bathroom can be done much more economically than gutting the entire bathroom and changing the plumbing configuration. It might not have the same wow factor as a complete renovation. A budget-conscious bathroom remodel may make all the difference in adding value to your home.
Reach out to JJ Team Homes With Questions
Remodeling your bathroom can be a daunting task, but it can also be a rewarding one with a great return on investment when it’s finished. If we’ve inspired you with this blog or have additional questions or ideas, please reach out to us. We’d love to talk to you more about your home, including your ideas and your projects. And thanks again for reading our blog!